One of my love-to-do-things over a weekend or Sunday is baking. This is one of many I have baked in about 4 years and this is one of the bread cake loved by whole families ; aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, sibling. I think since many of my relative have moved to Jakarta from our home town in North Maluku where this cake is well known and liked, having this bread cake sometimes takes us back to the good days we had . In my hometown, this bread cake is often took its own spot at birthdays, christmas and other special occasion.
I guess, tipping out the family secret recipe is okay ( since it’s a common cake in the eastern past of Indonesian especially Ambon and Manado . Only it may differ according to the first one baked it among the family ).
7g instant yeast
8 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
8 tablespoons white sugar
200g sweet condensed milk
250g margarine, softened
Optional : raisins, shredded cheese, minced walnuts
* dissolve the yeast in two tablespoon lukewarm water for 10 minutes till it bubbles up and creamy looking. That means the yeast is alive
* beat the egg and sugar until you have a smooth soft batter. Add the milk
* Mix the wet batter with flour , softened margarine and finally the yeast
* fill it in a buttered flour bread size pan or any type of pans you like
* spread the raisins or cheese or walnuts on top or you may do that in the middle of the baking, after 25 minutes of baking
* leave it to raise for about 45 to one hour
* heat oven to 200C. And bake the raised batter for about 45 to one hour