Sometimes I like to buy this sweet almost-flourless-cake at the traditional booth cakes at a Hypermart near the office. This is one of our lots of proud-traditional-desserts I love. It’s a plain egg type of dessert with a nice brown crunchy topping.
My tittle is not the name of this cake. Its original name is Bingka Telur ( Egg Bingka ) . It’s originated from Banjar tribe in South Kalimantan. Among the Banjar people, this is one of 41 traditional cakes served in special occasions like wedding.
From simple ingredients, it has gone across the islands of Indonesia which nowadays they have added other ingredient to make it taste richer like potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, cassava, and tape ( fermented cassava ) . I love the cassava one and have made it many times. I’ll post it in here next time I bake it.
Back to my unexpected green “Louboutin” , this is really an unexpected result. I don’t know what’s wrong with my pan, as half part was like this fabulous shoe ( LOL ) and the half had a normal look. You may see the pictures below. Still, both models taste good.
FOR MAKING THIS SWEET CAKE
You may need :
150 gr granulated sugar
75 gr all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon vanila extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
200 ml coconut milk
2 tablespoon melted butter ( salted/unsalted )
18cm round baking pan ( I used my available 22 cm so it came out short )
1 tablespoon pandan paste (optional) if you want to give it a little color and more taste
Then you start the work :
* Preheat the oven to 190C
* Put the eggs and sugar in a bowl and just whisk it with hand whisk until well combine. You don’t need the electric whisk for this.
* Add the flour, coconut milk, melted butter , salt and vanila in the egg mixture. Stir all together with spatula until well combined.
* In a bowl , separate 100ml of the batter to mix with the pandan paste.
* Grease the baking pan with butter and fold in the plain egg batter then the pandan batter in the middle of the egg batter. You may make it like a zebra cake, as you pleased.
* Bake for around 40 minutes until the cake is cooked through – or you may check it out after 30 minutes , insert a skewer in the centre and see if it comes out clean – your cake is done.