Bread is one kind of food that ever since I learnt to make it, I’ve never failed. I am not saying that I have mastered making it, just that the result is always good. Also, I found out that homemade bread lasts longer in room temperature than the store bought bread. That’s why homemade cooking is always healthier than eating out, I believe this.
This is the first time I baked Paczki and I just love their taste. Paczki are Polish doughnuts . They are actually fried doughnuts but they can be oven baked as well. I did the oven baked ones. Traditionally they are filled with strawberry jam but again, you may fill them with any fillings you like. I went with vanilla custard and strawberry jam.
Every country may have this kind of doughnuts with their unique names . In Indonesia we call it Donut Goreng . But according to the history of this beautiful doughnuts, in many parts of Eastern Europe, Paczki are eaten on the last Thursday before Lent which they call it Fat Thursday.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 2/3 cup 1% milk – warmed to 120°
- 3 Tablespoons oil (canola or extra light olive oil)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- about 1/4 cup extra flour
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar for coating
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast with 2 tablespoons of warm water. Let it stand until creamy, about ten minutes.
2. Place flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl.
3. Stir in warm milk, followed by oil, egg yolk and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes in high speed.
4. Stir in enough flour till the dough holds together.
5. Place dough on a floured surface and knead for a few minutes. Cover with plastic and rest till double in size. I leave it for about one hour.
6. Roll dough 1 cm thick and cut circles using a 7.5 cm round cutter.
7. Place mound on baking sheet. Cover with towel and let rise in a warm spot for about 45 – 60 minutes
8. Pre-heat oven to 190 C and bake the Paczki for about 10 minutes.
9. Brush the hot Paczki with melted butter and roll on a plate or a plastic bag to coat with sugar. Shake off excess .
10. Fill the Paczki using a pastry bag with a long slender tip, pushing into the side. Serve immediately. You can do the filling when they are not too hot. Since I just have the pastry bag but didn’t have the piping tip , I used a plastic straw as the piping tip. It worked wonder as well with a little bit patience.
Making the vanilla custard :
In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar + 1 Tablespoon cornstarch. Slowly stir in 1 cup fresh milk + 2 egg yolks. Bring to a boil & cook about a minute, stirring constantly, until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and let it stand to cool. You may refrigerate it if necessary.