Besides being great as fruit, I find that it is great being a cake as well. I must say, besides ( again ) I love apple pie, this new kind of cake has been my favorite. I promise myself to make it again and again. You can eat it while it’s warm with a cup of coffee or tea as well as you can savor it with a bowl of ice cream ( tiramisu ice cream fits me well ). You can refrigerate it and eat it right away the next day and it still tastes good.
Their lovely layers…so tempting. But I’ll make a better arrangement of the slices to be like a rose petal -which it should be if you serve for your guests- next time I bake it.
Let’s see the recipe.
- 4 red apples(I use pacific rose ) peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- ⅔ cup (150ml) pure honey
- Preheat oven to 190Cº ( this is the highest degree of my small oven )
- Grease and/or line an 8 inch (20cm) cake pan with nonstick parchment paper, then place the apple slices inside.
- Put flour, sugar, baking powder, olive oil and 2 eggs in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter over the apples and bake for 20 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven.
- In a bowl, whisk 2 eggs and honey. Pour mixture over the cake and bake in the oven for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown and fork comes out clean when poked in the center.
- Serve warm or cold.