When you happen to be in Indonesia, you may find many kind of dishes using Tofu, from the street food vendors to a fancy Indonesian or Chinese restaurant. We call it Tahu. Tofu can be easily cooked as well. You may just marinate it with salt and minced garlic , grill or deep frying it then eat it with tomato or chili sauce, yummy.
I tried this Japanese recipe , Teriyaki Tofu Patties and I must say it’s very good. Even eating it without any other dishes. But well, being an Indonesian, rice is our main dish so I had the Tofu as the side dish. Still I ate only three tablespoons of steamed rice and all those five tofu patties (Oopss).
Here is the recipe.
- 150 gram fresh soft/medium Tofu ( I bought it at the traditional market where we can buy the homemade one)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoon Panko ( breadcrumbs )
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1/3 cup green onion , thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger or powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- salt and pepper for taste
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté onion for 3 min over medium heat
- Transfer onion to a dish and cool
- Mash tofu in a bowl and mix it with onion, panko, eggs, green onion, ginger until well combined , add salt and pepper to taste
- Take one tablespoon of mixture and form it into oval patties
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and cook tofu patties for 2 minutes , covered over medium heat
- Flip and cook another 2 minutes, still covered
- Mix soy sauce, sugar, mirin, and sake in a small bowl
- Turn heat to low, add the sauce and sauté for 30 seconds, or until the sauce is absorbed by the patties
- Serve warm over steamed rice or have it as a healthy snack
This is the way I had it ( with steamed rice and sautéed garlic zucchini )